Hello everyone, hope you all are doing well. I’m not a vegetarian but I can never deny the fact how vegetables are useful for our health. One such important vegetable is bottle gourd also known as “lauki”, “ghiya” or “doodhi” in India. Bottle gourd has numerous health benefits and should be consumed often. It is considered as a natural thirst quencher. Here are few necessary things you need to know about this vegetable.
What is bottle gourd?
Bottle gourd traces its origin from South Asia. It is a greenish, long, slender squash. It consitutes of 90% water and hence is easy to digest. It is also rich in magnesium, phosphorus, riboflavin, Vitamin A and C.
How does it benefit our body?
1. Bottle gourd is effective in reducing high blood pressure. It is also popularly used in treating urinary problems like inflammation of urinary tract by diluting the acid content present in urine.
2. Bottle gourd juice is great for weight loss. As bottle gourd is mainly composed of water, its consumption makes us feel full for a long time. Bottle gourd is a low calorie food. Consuming a glass of lauki juice early morning keeps hunger at bay.
3. Bottle gourd is rich in fiber & helps to check constipation. Fibers are present in both soluble and insoluble forms which helps to digest food in the digestive system. It also check the occurance of piles.
4. Bottle gourd is believed to check liver inflammation due to its cooling properties. Bottle gourd is also used to treat jaundice.
5. Replacement of lost fluids in the body. Due to the presence of water and other necessary nutrients in bottle gourd, it is used to treat diarrohea.
6. Regular consumption of bottle gourd leads to clearer and problem free skin. It is also beneficial to get a beautiful hair as it prevents premature greying of hair.
How to make bottle gourd juice?
Cut a bottle gourd into pieces, put it in a blender along with a pinch of salt and cumin seeds. Add little water to this and blend it for 5 minutes. Lauki juice is ready to drink. Have it early morning in empty stomach everyday.
I hope this article was helpful. Do share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Image Courtesy: Google