Hello readers, today I’ll be talking about one of the most common infection we come through in our life and ways to tackle with it. Conjunctivitis or ‘pink eye’ is inflammation of the part of the eye called conjunctiva. The conjunctiva is a thin tissue that covers the white parts of our eyes. It helps to keep our eyes moist and protect it from infections, allergies and irritants. Learn basic facts about this eye infection to take care of yourself if you ever get one:
Causes: Conjunctivitis is commonly caused by infection from bacteria or virus. They are also caused by allergens like dust, grass, cosmetic products or use of contact lenses. That is why it is always recommended to wash your hands properly before touching your eyes. They can spread easily from one person to other.
Symptoms: Symptoms of conjunctivitis may vary from person to person. It may affect one of the eye or both. Some of the most common symptoms are listed below:
- Redness in white part of the eye with swelling
- Moderate to heavy itching in the eye
- Sticky discharge from the eye
- Crusty eyelids when you wake up
Diagnosis: In most of the cases you are asked certain questions by the doctor to find out about the possibilities for catching conjunctivitis. He will further prescribe you allergy tests and eye tests if required.
Treatment: Treatment includes medicines like eye drops and nose drops to treat allergy, steroids like pain killers and antibiotic pills which should be taken for a specific time as prescribed by the doctor.
Self care: Follow these steps to avoid discomfort during conjunctivitis and prevent it spreading further:
- Use eye drops at regular intervals
- Do not use contact lenses if you are suffering from conjunctivitis
- Avoid any kind of eye makeup during infection
- Avoid using fur items
- Wear black glasses or shades to avoid spreading to others
Prevention: ‘Prevention is better than cure’. Hence it is better to avoid conjunctivitis before it infect your eyes:
- Wash your hands often and as possible
- Avoid frequent contact of your hand with eyes
- Stay away from allergic items
- Stay way from cheap and old eye makeups
I hope you find these information helpful. I will be back with a new post soon. Till then take care……..